The Camilleri Funeral Home, Crematorium & Memorial Park is a project submitted by Active Group to build Malta’s first cremation facility. The first planning application was submitted in 2017 with a new and improved design resubmitted in 2021.
The project is designed to be developed over 7,600 sqm of land owned by the group, located behind the Addolorata cemetery, opposite its new extension.
The main features of this project include:
- A funeral home and crematorium building to include a mortuary, cold storage facilities and viewing rooms.
- A multi-faith hall which could be converted into a chapel, adaptable to the faith of the individual.
- An outdoor area for social gatherings during or after the cremation service.
- Landscaped Memorial gardens spread over 7,000sqm, providing various options for dispersion or woodland burial of ashes.
- A selection of indoor or outdoor columbariums for storage of urns.
The project is designed to give people choices on how to give a last farewell to dearly departed according to their wishes. It took several years of research and planning to have the capacity to cater for anyone wishing to be cremated in Malta for decades to come.
As at July 2023, the application is still on hold pending the Cremation Law coming in force and Planning authority guidelines for the construction of this facility.
Final guidelines should be available in coming months, in the meantime cremation services are only available overseas, the nearest crematorium being in Catania, represented in Malta by Camilleri Funeral Directors.